|CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FROM PHD CANDIDATES-OSSREA|
The OSSREA Zambia Chapter has won a third research grant to organize a PhD Training Workshop on September 3-28, 2012. The workshop will cater for 30 PhD candidates in the humanities and social sciences. The Zambia Chapter is therefore inviting applications from PhD candidates who are starting their PhD programmes at any university in Zambia. Send your application and a very brief CV before August 24, 2012 to
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROPOSED TRAINING WORKSHOP:
The proposed PhD Research Methodology Training Workshop for PhD candidates in various universities in Zambia has the following objectives:
1. To equip the candidates with knowledge and skills which will enhance their ability to formulate and articulate research problems and questions.
2. To help the candidates to improve their research proposals in terms of literature review, theoretical and conceptual framework and Library research.
3. To enhance the candidates’ understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods in data collection and analysis.
4. To improve the candidates’ skills in writing PhD dissertations, academic articles and research reports.
The workshop will cater for 30 PhD candidates who will be selected from the list of applicants from the local Zambian universities. Participants will have to find their own accommodation in Lusaka. OSSREA has not provided funding for accommodation for participants outside Lusaka. Only meals have been budgeted for by OSSREA HQ.
The Executive Committee of the OSSREA ZAMBIA CHAPTER, at its meeting held on May 4, 2012, chose the following lecturers as resource persons to teach the participants;
1. Dr Prudencia Mweemba, a Senior Lecturer at the University of Zambia, will teach Module 1 on Formulating Research Problems and Questions.
2. Professor A.M. Kanduza, a Professor at the University of Botswana, will teach Module 2 on Theoretical and Conceptual Frameworks, Literature Review and Research Proposals.
3. Dr. Musonda Lemba, a Senior Lecturer at the University of Zambia, will teach Module 3 on Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods.
4. Professor B.J. Phiri, a Professor at the University of Zambia, will teach Module 4 on Writing PhD Dissertations, Academic Articles and Research Reports.
DURATION OF THE TRAINING WORKSHOP:
The Training Workshop will run for four weeks, based on four modules. One module will be taught in a week (Monday-Friday). The participants will evaluate the performance of each facilitator and the module delivery on the last day of teaching (Friday).
WEEK 1: Module 1: Formulating Research Problems and Questions, Focusing the research Topic, Timeline and Budgeting.
WEEK 2: Module 2: Theoretical and Conceptual Frameworks, Literature Review, Library Research and Research Proposals.
WEEK 3: Module 3: Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods in collecting and analysing data such as survey, case studies, comparative, sampling, narrative inquiry, action research, interviews, ethnography and research ethics.
Week 4: Module 4: Writing PhD Dissertations, Academic Articles and Research Reports and working with a supervisor.
1. Orientation Programme: An Overview of the Programme and the Programme’s expectations of candidates.
2. Participants’ Presentation of their PhD Proposals.
3. Lectures based on the four Modules.
4. Group work by the participants.
5. Question and Answer Session.
6. Evaluation of Facilitator and Module delivery.
7. Presentation of Certificates of Attendance to the participants at the end of the Workshop on September 28, 2012 by the Vice Chancellor of the University of Zambia who is Patron of the OSSREA ZAMBIA CHAPTER.
CONTRIBUTION BY THE UNIVERSITY OF ZAMBIA:
The University of Zambia will contribute the following towards the Training Workshop:
1. Venue for the Training Workshop, Lecture Room G3 in the School of Humanities Building.
2. Free Library Facilities for non-University of Zambia students.
3. Free Internet Access for non-University of Zambia students.
DATES FOR THE TRAINING WORKSHOP:
September 3-7, 2012: Module One
September 10-14, 2012: Module Two
September 17-21, 2012: Module Three
September 24-28, 2012: Module Four
Chewe Chabatama, PhD
Liaison Officer, OSSREA ZAMBIA CHAPTER
August 7, 2012
|< Prev||Next >|
|Office of The Chancellor|
|Office of The Vice-Chancellor|
|Office of The Deputy Vice-Chancellor|
|Office of The Registrar|
|Office of The Bursar|
|Office of The Librarian|
|Dean of Students|
|School of Agricultural Sciences|
|School of Education|
|School of Engineering|
|School of Law|
|School of Mines|
|School Of Medicine|
|School of Natural Sciences|
|School of Veterinary Medicine|
|School of Humanities and Social Sciences|