Bachelor of Agricultural Sciences (Soil Science) University of Zambia, 2005.
Master of Science in Physical Land Resources (Soil Science), Ghent University, 2011.
PhD in Applied Biological Sciences: Agricultural Sciences. Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, 2017. Thesis title: Soil nitrogen and carbon dynamics and crop yield levels in Faidherbia-maize agroforestry systems in Zambia.
Jones Yengwe joined the University of Zambia, School of Agricultural Sciences as a Staff Development Fellow in the Department of Soil Science in 2009. He was appointed Lecturer in the Department of Soil Science in 2011. At the university, he is involved in the core activities of the university: teaching, research and public service. He teaches the following courses:
Undergraduate courses taught
1. AGS 4221 Soil and Plant Analysis
2. AGS 4241 Soil and Plant Diagnosis and Fertilization
3. AGS 4232 Soil Fertility and Amendments
Postgraduate courses taught
1. AGS 6211 Plant nutrition
2. AGS 6245 Environmental Chemistry and Microbiology
3. AGS 6232 Soil Amendment and Fertilizer Technology
4. AGS 7000 MSc Thesis coordinator – Department of Soil Science
Agroforestry (arable crops), soil health and quality, soil fertility, sustainable use of fertilizers (mineral and organic fertilizers), and sustainable use of natural resources. Soil carbon stocks and storage in various farming practices.
- Co-researcher, Optimizing maize-cowpea intercropping systems productivity and resilience to climate change in Zambia and Mozambique. Agricultural Productivity Programme for Southern Africa (APPSA), 2016 to date.
- Chalwe, M.H., Lungu, O.I., Mweetwa, A.M., Phiri, E., Yengwe, J., Njoroge, S.M.C., Rick, L.B., David, J. 2020. The effects of gypsum on pod-yield and pre-harvest aflatoxin contamination in selected peanut cultivars of Zambia. African Journal of Plant Science, 14(3), 134-138. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJPS2019.1807
- Chalwe, M.H., Lungu, O.I., Mweetwa, A.M., Phiri, E., Yengwe, J., Njoroge, S.M.C., Rick, L.B., David, J. 2019. Predicting aflatoxin content in peanuts using ambient temperature, soil temperature and soil moisture content during pod development. African Journal of Plant Science, 13(3), 59-69. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJPS2018.18742
- Yengwe, J., Amalia, O, Lungu, O., De Neve, S., 2018. Quantifying nutrient deposition and yield levels of maize (Zea mays) under Faidherbia albida agroforestry systems in Zambia. European Journal of Agronomy, 99, 148-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eja.2018.07.004
- Yengwe, J., Gebremikael, M.T., Buchan, D., Lungu, O., De Neve, S., 2017. Effects of Faidherbia albida canopy and leaf litter on soil microbial communities and nitrogen mineralization in selected Zambian soils. Agroforestry Systems. doi:10.1007/s10457-016- 0063-4
- Kapembwa, R., Mweetwa, A.M., Ngulube, M., Yengwe, J., 2016. Morphological and Biochemical Characterization of Soybean Nodulating Rhizobia Indigenous to Zambia. Sustainable Agriculture Research; Vol. 5, No. 3.
- Yengwe, J. 2017. Soil carbon and nitrogen dynamics, soil quality, and crop yield levels in Faidherbia-maize agroforestry systems in Zambia. Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium.