- B.Min.Sc (Mining Engineering – University of Zambia)
- M.Min.Sc (Mining Engineering – University of Zambia)
- PhD (Mining Engineering – Curtin University, WASM, Australia)
Dr Bunda Besa (PhD), holds a Bachelors and Master’s degrees in Mining Engineering from University of Zambia. He obtained his PhD in Mining Engineering from Curtin University, Western Australian School of Mines in Australia. He did his Post-Doctoral Research in Mining Engineering from The University of Adelaide, in Australia. He worked for ZCCM (Luanshya Division) in underground mining operations for 5 years where he held various positions including Senior Planning Engineer. Has over 16 years University teaching experience at University of Zambia, Curtin University, University of Namibia and University of Zimbabwe. He is currently Senior Lecturer and Dean of the School of Mines at the University of Zambia. At University of Zambia he teaches Mine Planning and Design, Geostatistics, Operations Research, Surface Mining, Mineral Economics, Application of Computers in Mining, Safety, Health and Environment, Underground Mine Design, Mine Ventilation and Research Methods at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate level.. Hs supervised over 10 masters and a PhD student. His research areas are in Mining transport and materials handling, Simulation of mining systems, Mine safety, Environmental effects of mining operations, Rapid access to underground deposits. Has published over 20 Journal and refereed conference papers.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- MEMBER of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (The AusIMM);
- MEMBER of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (SAIMM);
- FELLOW of the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ);
- BOARD MEMBER of the Engineering Registration Board
- E/merge - Blended Collaborative Learning in Southern Africa
- M. Fisonga, Y. D. García & B. Besa 2017; Burden estimation using relative bulk strength of explosive substances Applied Earth Science, Transactions of the Institutions of Mining and Metallurgy: Section B ISSN: 0371-7453 (Print) 1743-2758 (Online) Journal homepage: http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/yaes20 , 126:1 PP 31-37. Taylor and Francis.
- Olivia Malambo and Bunda Besa, 2017; “A Mine Design for Baluba Centre Limb East Fringe Area Between 495ml and 510ml Mining Levels from Structural Sections SS28E to SS30E Using Sublevel Caving. Proceeding of the EIZ Symposium on Industrialization, Sustainability and Efficiency held at Avani Victoria Fall Resort, Livingstone Zambia on 7 & 8 April 2017 pp 8 – 20; ISBN 978-9982-41-013-7
- Fred Mungalaba, Victor Mutambo and Bunda Besa, 2017; “Determination of Air Quantity Requirements in View of Increased Heat Load for Mindola Deep Section, Mopani, Zambia” Proceeding of the EIZ Symposium on Industrialization, Sustainability and Efficiency held at Avani Victoria Fall Resort, Livingstone Zambia on 7 & 8 April 2017 pp 8 – 20; ISBN 978-9982-41-013-7
- B. Besa, K.E. Chanda, and M. Kuruppu, 2016; “Automation design for monorail - based system processes” Journal of Transport Problems", Volume 11 Issue 4, DOI: 10.20858/tp.2016.11.4.4; pp 29 – 41
- Banda W. and Besa B. 2016, “Modelling the Impact of Royalty Tax on the Mining Industry: A Case Study of Zambia” Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences (JONAS); Vol1, Issue 2. ISSN: 2226-6429.
- Banda W. and Besa B. 2016, “Economic Appraisal of Zambia’s Mineral Taxation Regimes” American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS) ISSN (Print) 2313-4410, ISSN (Online) 2313-4402;
- Banda W. and Besa B. 2016, “Review and Restructure of Zambia’s 2008 Mining Windfall Tax. Proceeding of the EIZ conference, Livingstone Zambia;
- D Lynas, C Bofinger and B Besa 2015, “A Successful African-Australian Training Partnership for Skilling Mines Inspectors in Zambia and Ghana”. In proceedings of the Africa Australia Technical Mining Conference 2015; 11 – 12 June 2015, Adelaide, South Australia. Pp. 53 – 55.
- Besa, Bunda and Chanda, K. Emmanuel (2013); Application of Artificial Neural Network (ANN) in the determination of the Drillability Index (DI) of a rock mass; Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences (JONAS); Vol1, Issue 2. ISSN: 2226-6429.
- Besa B. and Chanda, E. K. (2012); Evaluation of low profile electric loader in conjunction with electric monorail haulage system in narrow vein mining. In proceedingsof the ‘Narrow Vein Mining Conference ’The AusIMM. 14 – 15 Feb. 2012, Perth, Western Australia; pp 129 – 141, ISBN: 9781920806897.
- Chanda, Emmanuel K. and Besa, Bunda (2011) 'A computer simulation model of a monorail-based mining system for decline development', International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, Vol 25, Issue 1. 52 — 68; Taylor & Francis Publishers; ISSN: 1748-0949 (electronic) 1748-0930 (paper); Feb. 2011.
- Besa, B., Kuruppu, M., and Chanda, E. K. (2010). ‘Numerical modelling of monorail support requirements in decline development,’in ‘Mine Planning & Equipment Selection (MPES 2010)’, pp 209 -224 (The Austrasian Institute of Mining Metallurgy, Melbourne.ISBN: 9781921522352
- Chanda, E. K. and Besa, B. (2009). ‘Design of pneumatic loading system for monorail application’, International Journal of Mining and Mineral Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp.181–203. ISSN (Online): 1754-8918 - ISSN (Print): 1754-890X.
- Besa, B., Kuruppu, M., and Chanda, E. K. (2009). ‘Risk assessment and hazard control for the monorail load-haul-system’ Proceedings of the Eighteenth International Symposium on Mine Planning & Equipment Selection (MPES 2009), Publisher: The Reading Matrix Inc. Irvine, CA, USA. November 16–19, 2009, Banff, Alberta, Canada. Pg. 163-179. ISSN 1913-6528.
- Chanda, E. K., Besa, B. and Kuruppu, M. (2008). ‘Design of a continuous monorail drilling system for decline development’ Paper presented at ‘The International Future Mining Conference’ 19 – 21 Nov. 2008, The University of New South Wales, The AusIMM, Sydney, Australia. pp 101 – 111. ISBN: 978 1 920806 910.
- Chanda, E. K., and Besa, B. (2008). ‘Monorail technology – A rapid and cost effective method of decline development’ Paper presented at ‘Narrow Vein Mining Conference’TheAusIMM. 14 – 15 Oct. 2008, Ballarat, Central Victoria, Australia. pp 129 – 141. ISBN: 978 1 920806 897.
- Chanda, E. K., Darcey, W., Kuruppu, M. and Besa, B. (2007). ‘Application Of Electro-Monorail Mine Haulage Systems In Underground Decline Development’ Proceedings of the Sixteenth International Symposium on Mine Planning and Equipment Selection (MPES 2007), 11 – 13 Dec. Bangkok, Thailand. pp 159 – 175. ISBN: 978 1 605603 261.
- Besa B. (2005). ‘Safety issues in small-scale stone quarrying and crushing operations: A case study of dust problems in Lusaka, Zambia’ Paper presented at the “Mine Safety Congress Africa 2005” in Johannesburg South Africa (23 – 27th August 2005);
- Besa B. and L. Banda (2004). ‘A study of dust exposure in stone quarrying and crushing operations of Lusaka.’Paper presented at an International Conference on Safety and Health in Small-scale Mining. Workshop organized by Mining Sector Diversification Programme (MSDP) a European Union (EU) funded programme.
- Besa B. (2003). ‘Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) procedures in mining industry’.Paper presented at the CDE International Conference on Small Scale Mining Environmental Management Workshop held at Courtyard Hotel, Dar-es-salaam, Tanzania. 17th – 21st November 2003.
- Besa B. (2003). ‘Mine Closure and rehabilitation’. Paper presented at the CDE International Conference on Small-Scale Mining Environmental Management Workshop held at Courtyard Hotel, Dar-Es-salaam, Tanzania. 17th – 21st November 2003.
- Besa B. (2001). ‘Environmental Impacts of Coal Mining on Land at Maamba Collieries Limited in Choma, Zambia’. Published in First Botswana International Conference on Mining, Published by; Printing and Publishing Company (Pty) Ltd, Botswana, November 2002. ISBN 99912–950–6–2. pp 321 – 330.
- R. Nyirenda and B. Besa (2017). A technical and economic appraisal for optimal exploitation of the H Sub-incline complex at Nchanga Underground Mine. International Conference on Geology, Mining, Mineral and Groundwater resources of the Sub-Sahahara Africa: Opportunities and Challenges Ahead. 11th – 13th July, Livingstone, Zambia.