- BAgricSc (with Merit) University of Zambia, December, 1976.
- MSc (Soil Science & Water Management), University of Wageningen, The Netherlands, July, 1979.
- PhD (Agronomy & Soil Science) University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, December, 1983.
Prof. Vernon Chinene joined the Department of Soil Science as a Staff Development Fellow in 1976 and was appointed Lecturer of Soil Science in 1979. He rose to the rank of Senior Lecturer in 1989. That same year he was elected Dean of the School of Agricultural Sciences; a position he held for nearly nine years until 1997. In 1994 he was elevated to the rank of Associate Professor of Soil Science and became the first Zambian in the School to enter this rank. In 1999 he rose to the rank of Professor of Soil Science and again became the first Zambian in the School to enter this rank. In 2008 he was appointed founding Vice Chancellor of Mulungushi University; the position he held until 2012. In 2015 he returned to the Department of Soil Science and was appointed to his current position of Professor of Agronomy & Soil Science.
On-going research projects:
- Effect of conservation farming with or without biochar on crop yield and soil quality parameters relative to conventional agriculture in controlled mechanistic experiments both in situ and ex situ in Zambia.
- Assessment of fertilizing value of ant hill soils of selected soil types in agroecological zone II of Zambia.
Professor Chinene has a wealth of 29 publications in refereed Journals and Conference Proceedings as follows:
- Chinene, V.R.N., Shaxson, T.F., Molumeli, P. and Segerros, M. 1996. Guidelines to better land husbandry in the SADC Region. SADC Environment and Land Management Sector Coordination Unit (SADC-ELMS), Maseru, Lesotho, 193pp.
- Chinene, V.R.N. and Dynoodt, R. 1994. Soil ecology and conservation in the tropics. In: Balakrishnan, M., Bie, S.W. and Borgstrom, R. (editors.). Tropical ecosystems. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. PVT. Ltd., Janpath, New Delhi, India. ISBN 81-0873-X.
- Singh, U., Chinene, V.R.N., Ching, P.C., Ikawa, H., Jones, C.A. and Uehara, G. 1985. Simulation of maize response to nitrogen application. In: Silva, J.A. (Editor): Soil Based Agrotechnology Transfer. Hawaii Institute of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, University of Hawaii, p 150-158.
- Lungu, O.I. and Chinene, V.R.N. 1993. Cropping and soil management systems and their effect on soil productivity in Zambia: A review. Ecology and Development Paper No. 8. The Ecology and Development Research Programme, The Agricultural University of Norway and The Centre for Sustainable Development (Publishers), As, Norway. ISSN 0804-2144. 114pp.
- Place, F., Chinene, V.R.N. Hansungule, M. and Maimbo, F. 1994. Land tenure and agricultural development in customary areas: Results from Eastern and Southern Provinces. In: Roth, M. and Smith, S.G. (Editors) Land tenure, land markets, and institutional transformation in Zambia. Land Tenure Centre, University of Wisconsin-Madison. pp149-171.
- Chisanga, C.B., Phiri, E. and Chinene, V.R.N. 2017: Climate change impact on maize (Zea mays L.) yield using crop simulation and statistical downscaling models: A review. Scientific Research & Essays 12(18): 167-187 DOI-10.5897/SRE2017.6521.
- Chisanga, C.B., Phiri, E. and Chinene, V.R.N. 2017: Trends in extreme events in precipitation and temperature during the 1963-2012 period at Mount Makulu, Zambia. Journal of Scientific Research & Reports 15(4): 1-19, 2017. Article no. JSRR. 34815, ISSN: 2320-0227.
- Chisanga, C.B., Phiri, E. and Chinene, V.R.N. 2017: Statistical bias correction of fifth coupled model inter-comparison project data from CGIR research program on climate change, agriculture and food security-climate portal for Mount Makulu, Zambia. British Journal of Applied Science & Technology 21(4): 1-16, 2017. Article no. BJAST. 33531. ISSN: 2231-0843, NLM ID: 101664541.
- Chisanga, C.B., Phiri, E. and Chinene, V.R.N. 2017: Statistical downscaling of precipitation and temperature using Long Ashton Research Station Weather Generator in Zambia: A case for Mount Makulu Agriculture Research Station. American Journal of Climate Change, 2017, 6, 487-512. ISSN Online: 2167-9509 ISSN Print: 2167-9495
- Chinene, V.R.N. 1992. Land evaluation using the FAO Framework: An example from Zambia. Soil Use and Management Journal, Vol. 8, No. 3, p130-139. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Osney Mead, Oxford, U.K.
- Chinene, V.R.N. 1991. The Zambian land evaluation system (ZLES). Soil Use and Management Journal, Vol. 7, No. 1, p21-30. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Osney Mead, Oxford, U.K.
- Chinene, V.R.N., Mbewe, D. and Lungu, D. 1990. Measuring soil loss in different land use systems on an oxic Paleustalf in Lusitu, Zambia. Tropical Agriculture Journal, Vol. 67, No.3, p221-222. Butterworth Scientific Ltd., Guildford, Surrey, U.K.
- Lenvain, J.S., Pauwelyn, P.L.L. and Chinene, V.R.N. 1989. Preliminary results on measuring soil loss at the University farm. Zambia Journal of Science and Technology. Vol. 8 No. 1, p10-19. National Council for Scientific Research, Lusaka.
- Chinene, V.R.N. and Pauwelyn, P.L.L. 1989. Effect of drought on maize response to nitrogen. Zambia Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 8 No. 1, p27-30. National Council for Scientific Research, Lusaka.
- Chinene, V.R.N. and Shitumbanuma, V. 1988. Land evaluation of the proposed Musaba state farm, Samfya, Zambia. Soil Survey and Land Evaluation Journal. Vol. 8, No. 3, p176-182. Geo Abstracts Ltd., Norwich, U.K.
- Chinene, V.R.N. 1987. Effect of nitrogen and phosphorus on extractable soil-water by maize (Zea mays L.). Zimbabwe Journal of Agricultural Research and designated Journal of the Southern African Centre for Cooperation in Agricultural Research. Vol. 25, No. 1, p25-32. Sebri Printers, Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Chinene, V.R.N. 1988. Development and management of subsoil acidity in the humid tropics. Zimbabwe Journal of Agricultural Research and designated Journal of the Southern African Centre for Cooperation in Agricultural Research, Vol. 26, No.2 p1-9. Sebri Printers, Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Chinene, V.R.N. 1986. Phophorus fertilization for maize (Zea mays L.) on Oxisols and Ultisols. Zimbabwe Journal of Agricultural Research and designated Journal of theSouthern African Centre for Cooperation in Agricultural Research, Vol. 24, No. 2, p103-111. Sebri Printers, Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Chinene, V.R.N 1986. Physiological response of maize to water stress. Zimbabwe Journal of Agricultural Research and designated Journal of the Southern African Centre for Cooperation in Agricultural Research, Vol. 25 No. 1 p10-14. Sbri Printers, Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Chinene, V.R.N. 1996. Food security: Nature and type. In: Proceedings of the Regional Conference on Food Security and Strategies to Cope with Drought, 28-30 November, 1996, Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka. Convenor: Economics Association of Zambia.
- Chinene, V.R.N., Shaxson, T.F., Douglas, M.G. and Molumeli, P.A. 1995. Land husbandry: A New approach to achieve soil and water conservation. In: Yerokun, O.A. and Mukhala, E. (Editors): A Systems Approach to Long-Term Soil Productivity, National Symposium Proceedings, 7-10 February, 1995, Department of Soil Science, University of Zambia, Lusaka, pp116-142.
- Chinene, V.R.N. 1995. Water harvesting: A practical means of alleviating the impact of drought at the farm level. In: Mukhala, E. (Editor): Agricultural Drought: Mitigation Strategies and Soil Management Practices, Drought Symposium Proceedings, 22nd August, 1995, Department of Soil Science, University of Zambia in Collaboration with the Zambia National Farmers Union, Fairview Hotel, Lusaka, pp77-79.
- Banda, D.J., Chinene, V.R.N. and Lungu, O.I. 1992. Agricultural land use planning concerns in Zambia. In: Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Integrated Land Use Management for Tropical Agriculture, Brisbane, Australia. p11-1 to 11-7.
- Chinene, V.R.N and Mukanda, N. 1991. Characteristics and productivity potential of wet soils of Zambia. In: Deturk, P. and Ponnemparuma, F.N. (Editors): Rice Production on Acid Soils of the Tropics. Institute of Fundamental Studies, Kandy, Sri Lanka. p65-70.
- Chinene, V.R.N. 1990. Assessment of soil water availability in land evaluation for maize. In: Unger, P.W., Sneed, T.V., Jordan, W.R. and Jensen, R. (Editors). Proceedings of the International Conference on Dryland Farming : Challenges in Dryland Agriculture: A Global Perspective held in Amarillo and Bushland, Texas, USA, August 15-19, 1988. p 193-194.
- Chinene, V.R.N. 1989. Effect of calcium leaching on subsoil acidity and maize growth on an acid University farm soil. Proceedings of the regional seminar on cereals of the semiarid tropics held in Garoua, Cameroun, September 12-16, 1989. International Foundation for Science, Stockholm, Sweden. p52-60. ISBN 91-85798-25-8.
- Lenvain, J.S., Chinene, V.R.N., Gill, K.S. and Pauwelyn, P.L.L. 1987. Aspects of compaction, water transmissibility and erosion on a kaolinitic clay soil. In: Proceedings of the Second Regional IBSRAM Workshop on Land Development and Management of Acid soils in Africa held in Lusaka and Kasama, 9-16 April, 1987. IBSRAM, Bangkok, Thailand. p173-185.
- Chinene, V.R.N. and Lungu, O. 1986. Acidity and phosphorus management in red soils of the humid tropics. In: Nyamapfene, K., Hussein, J. and Asumadu, K. (Editors): Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on the Properties and Management of Red Soils of East and Southern Africa held in Harare, Zimbabwe, February 24-27, 1986. p345-357.
- Chinene, V.R.N. 1985. Crop modelling research in Zambia. In: Woode, P.R. (Editor). Proceedings of the 11th International Forum on Soil Taxonomy and Agrotechnology Transfer, Lusaka, Zambia, July 15 - August 1, 1985. p181-186.