Dr Lubobya holds a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Electrical Engineering and Masters of Science (MSc) Degree in Electrical Engineering from the University Of Cape Town (UCT), a Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) in Electrical and Electronics from the Copperbelt University (CBU) with over ten years in industry and lecturing.
For his PhD he conducted a research in video surveillance in which he proposed an algorithm for improving throughput, reducing end-to-end delay, jitter and packet loss. He also proposed and implemented an AWARD WINING algorithm for low bandwidth application software and achieved a 100% successful transmission of surveillance images/videos in a low-bandwidth network environment. For his Masters, he did a research in Video Compression in conjunction with the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of South Africa whose results have been published and patented.
Currently, he is employed by the University of Zambia (UNZA) as Lecturer and Researcher in the School of Engineering under the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. He is also coordinator of all telecommunications programmes at UNZA. Prior to that, Dr. Lubobya also worked for Zambia Telecommunications Company limited for 8 years as Technician, Engineer and Lecturer. In 2010, Zambia Information Technology Authority (ZICTA) through the now Zambia ICT College (formerly Zamtel Staff Training College), employed him as Manager Research and Development, a position he held until he joined UNZA.
- Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers(IEEE)
- Member of Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ)
Membership To External Bodies
- Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) with Membership number 91252595
- Member of the Golden Key International Honor Society with membership number 8974222
- Member of the Zambia Science and Technology Information Network advisory Committee
- Telecommunication Research Group
- Electrical and Electronics
- Wireless Networks
- Mobile Communication
- Web design
- Smart Charles lubobya. “Performance Analysis and Application Development of Hybrid WiMAX–WiFi IP Video Surveillance Systems,” PhD thesis, Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 2017. [Online]: https://open.uct.ac.za/bitstream/item/28696/thesis_ebe_2017_lubobya_smart_charles.pdf?sequence=1
- Smart Charles lubobya, “Fast implementation of integer transforms in H. 264/AVC video encoders, MSc Thesis, Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 2011 : [online]. http://open.uct.ac.za/bitstream/handle/11427/11752/thesis_ebe_2011_lubobya_s_c.pdf?sequence=1
- Lubobya, S.C., Dlodlo, M.EH., de Jager, G. Zulu, A (2017). “Mesh IP Video Surveillance Systems Model Design and Performance Evaluation”, Wireless Personal Commununication Journal, pp.1-14, Print ISSN 0929-6212, Online ISSN 1572-834X. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-017-5062-x
- Lubobya, C.S., Dlodlo, M.E., De Jagar, G. & Zulu,A.,(2015), ‘Throughput Characteristics of WiMAX Video Surveillance Systems’. ELSEVIER-Procedia Computer Science Journal, pp. 571-580, March. 2015. ISSN: 1877-0509. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.03.110
- SC Lubobya, ME Dlodlo, G de Jagar, A Zulu, “Performance Evaluation of WiMAX-Wi-Fi Video Surveillance System” Journal of Information Technology & Software Engineering, pp. 43, Issue 2, vol.5, August, 2015. DOI: 10.4172/2165-7866.S1.002
- Lubobya S.C., Dlodlo M.E., De Jager G., Zulu A. (2017) Link Utilization in Hybrid WiMAX-Wi-Fi Video Surveillance Systems. In: Bhatia S., Mishra K., Tiwari S., Singh V. (eds) Advances in Computer and Computational Sciences. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, pp. 405-415, vol 553. Springer, Singapore, Print ISBN 978-981-10-3769-6, Online ISBN 978-981-10-3770-2, DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-3770-2_38.
- S. C. Lubobya, M. E. Dlodlo, G. de Jager, A. Zulu, “Mobile Surveillance Application for Hybrid WiMAX-Wi-Fi Systems”, IEEE Global Wireless Summit, November 27-30, AARHUS University, Denmark, 2016 .
- S. C. Lubobya, M. E. Dlodlo, G. de Jager , A. Zulu “Performance Comparisons of Wireless Mesh IP Video Surveillance Models,” 9th IEEE European Modelling Symposium on Mathematical Modelling and Computer Simulation, pp.415-420, 2015,Madrid, Spain. ISBN: 978-1-5090-0206-1.
- Lubobya, C.S., Dlodlo, M.E & De Jagar, G, ‘Performance Evaluation of the Wireless Tree Wi-Fi Video Surveillance System’. In IEEE UKSim-AMSS 16th International Conference on Computer Modelling and Simulation, 26-28 March, pp. 510-515, Cambridge, United kingdom, 2014, ISBN:978-1-4799-4923-6
- C. S. Lubobya, M. E. Dlodlo, G.de Jagar, “SIMD implementation of integer DCT and Hadamard transforms in H.264/AVC encoders” in proceedings of the IEEE African Conference (AFRICON), Sept. 2011.
- C. S. Lubobya, M. E. Dlodlo, G.de Jagar, “Optimization of 4x4 integer DCT in H.264/AVC video encoders” in proceedings of the 14th Southern African Telecommunication Network and Applications Conference (SATNAC), Sept. 2011.
- C. S. Lubobya, M. E. Dlodlo, G.de Jagar, “Fast Implementation of Integer Transforms in H.264/AVC Video encoders” in proceedings of the 13th Southern African Telecommunication Network and Applications Conference. (SATNAC), Sept.2010.
- Video Compression
- Signal processing
- Web design and data bases
- Code Division Multiple Access -Wireless Local Loop