The Institute is a research wing of the University of Zambia. It was incorporated into the University in 1965. There is a Board of Research Programmes ( BRP ) which is the highest decision making board within the Institute. It works in consultation with the Research Advisory Committee (RAC ).
The Institute carries out both basic ( theoretical ) and applied research.Research can either be self – initiated or Commissioned by Government, International Organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations, Business Organizations and Individuals.Collaborative research between the Institute and other interested parties is also encouraged.In addition, the Institute caries out consultancy services in relevant research areas including facilitating the organization of workshops, seminars, and conferences.
The University runs a research Affiliation Scheme through which researchers, both within and outside the country can be affiliated to the Institute of Economic and Social Research for the purpose of carrying out research in Zambia.
INESOR was founded in 1938, initially it had a strong bias towards the social sciences. Since its inception, it has undergone four phases of its name changes.
- Rhodes – Livingstone Institute,1938 -1965
- Institute for social research / Centre for African Studies, 1965 – 1971
- Institute for African Studies, 1971 – 1996
- Institute of Economic and Social Research ( INESOR ),1996 to date
The aims of INESOR are:
- To make research programmes truly inter- disciplinary with social sciences broadly interpreted
- To make the work of INESOR clearly relevant to the needs of Zambia
- To disseminate research findings to all stakeholders.
INESOR is located along Munali Road off Great East Road.
It is approximately four ( 4 ) kilometer North East of the Great East Road Campus