The Department offers several academic courses including doctorate, masters, postgraduate studies in health professions education, and a faculty development (capacity building) programme to enhance the education skills of faculty.DMED also coordinates the School’s Curriculum Committee (and attendant educational quality matters), the College Affiliation and Accreditation Committee, the Examinations Council of Health Sciences (ECOHS-UNZA) and the Skills Lab. The Department has an active research and consulting Portfolio.
Our Mission: "To promote excellence in teaching and learning in undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing medical education at the School of Medicine, affiliate colleges and the country as a whole."
The Department was established by the University Council in 2001 as both an academic and administrative support department within the School of Medicine of the University of Zambia. The Department is organised around three principle units:
Teaching and Learning Unit
- Health Professions Education Multifaceted Training Programme (HPE) Skills Lab
Curriculum & Examinations Unit
- Curriculum Committee
- College Affiliation and Accreditation Committee
- Examinations Council of Health Sciences (ECOHS-UNZA)
- Examinations Council of Foreign Health Professionals (ECFHP) – under development
Monitoring and Evaluation Unit
- Evaluation of Educational Standards at School of Medicine (M&E Evaluation)