- Ph.D. Horticulture, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
- Master of Environmental Sciences, Miami University, Oxford, OH
- Master of Science in Agronomy, University of Zambia
- B. Agric Sc. Crop Science, University of Zambia
Dr. Alice M. Mweetwa joined the university as a lecturer in November, 2010. Prior to that, she worked at Mulungushi University, School of Agriculture and Natural Resources as a Lecturer. She also worked as a teaching and research assistant at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, under the Department of Horticulture. Dr Mweetwa worked as Graduate Assistant in the Institute of Environmental Sciences at Miami University. She was a technician and assistant to the Genebank Curator at SADC Regional Plant Genetic Resources Center. She also worked as a part time lecturer at the Institute of United Nations Studies and a teacher at Mukuba Secondary School. At the university, she is involved in the core activities of the university: teaching, research and community service. She currently teaches postgraduates in Soil Microbiology, Soil and Water Conservation, Crop Water Requirements and Advanced Soil and Plant Analysis. She also teaches undergraduate students in Soil Microbiology and Soil and Plant Analysis. Her research interest areas include soil microbiology, soil fertility and nutrient recycling.
- Development and deployment of productive, disease resistant groundnuts varieties for Zambia using molecular and farmer participatory approaches.(Feed the Future Project- IFINITE) Collaborative research with ICRISAT and ZARI. 2011-2015
- Design, testing and dissemination of new and effective soil and water management strategies – EAU4Food. Collaboration among University of Zambia (Zambia), Alterra (Netherlands), IER, CSIR (Pretoria, RSA), INGRGEF (Tunis, Tunisia), Mekelle University (Ethiopia), IMWI, Ethiopia, RSA), CIRAD (France), ODI (London), Lisode, CEBAS, UEM (Mozambique), and Stellenbosch University (RSA). 2011-2015.
- Morphological, biochemical and molecular characterization of Soybean (Glycine max L. Merril) nodulating Rhizobia indigenous to Zambia. Kapembwa, R., Mweetwa, A. M., Tembo, L. and D., Odeny.). Collaborative research with ICRISAT, Nairobi, (Kenya). 2013-2015.
- Aflatoxin management interventions, education and analysis at various steps within the value chain. (PMIL). Collaborative research among University of Zambia (Zambia), ICRISAT, Lilongwe (Malawi) ; Virginia Polytechnic and State Institute, Blacksburg, Virginia (USA) ; North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC (USA) ; ICRISAT, Nairobi (Kenya) ; University of Georgia, Griffin, GA (USA) ; Bunda College of Agriculture, Lilongwe (Malawi) ; Chitedze Agriculture Research Service (Malawi) ; IIAM (Mozambique) ; Lurio University (Mozambique) ; ZARI, Msekera, Chipata (Zambia). 2014-2017.
- The environmental legacy of lead mining in Kabwe, Zambia. Mutiti, S. Tembo, K.M., Mweetwa, A.M., Keefer, K., Mususkwa G. Chashi, M. and R. Hamvumba. Collaborative research with Georgia College and State University, Milledgeville, GA (USA). 2013-2016.
- Characterization and evaluation of Biofix legume inoculants under Zambian conditions. Malama Mulenga, Narrow Songolo, Mweetwa, A.M., and N’gandu, S.H. and Kapulu, N. Collaborative research with Zambia Agricultural Research Institute (ZARI), Chilanga, Zambia (other funds). 2013-2015.
- Evaluation and dissemination of improved cowpea varieties and cropping systems in Mozambique and Zambia for enhanced food security, family nutrition and income. Chiulele R., Mweetwa, A.M., Kaluba, P., Munyinda, K., Phiri, E., Kalenga, B. Chashi, M., Musukwa, G., Gondwe, B. Mkandawire, N.L., and J. Shindano. 2014-2017.
- Response of common beans and groundnut to co–inoculation with Trichoderma and Rhizobia inoculants. Gondwe, B., Mweetwa, A. M, and G. Chilombo. 2014-2017.
Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Munsanda Ngulube, Alice M. Mweetwa, Elijah Phiri, Samuel M. C. Njoroge, Hendrix Chalwe, Victor Shitumbanuma and Rick L. Brandenburg. 2018. Effect of biochar and gypsum soil amendments on groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) dry matter yield and selected soil properties under water stress. African Journal of Agricultural Research. Under review
- John Banda S. K, Alice M. Mweetwa, Munsanda Ngulube, and Elijah Phiri. 2018. Chemical and biological properties of soils under maize-cowpea cropping systems in Conservation Agriculture. Journal of Agricultural Science. Under Review
- H. M. Chalwe, O. I. Lungu, A. M. Mweetwa, E. Phiri, S. M. C. Njoroge, R. L. Brandenburg, and D.L. Jordan. 2018. Effects of Compost Manure on Soil Microbial Respiration, Plant-Available-Water, Peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) Yield and Pre-Harvest Aflatoxin Contamination. Peanut Science, Under review
- Sichone R. and Mweetwa, A.M. 2018. Soil nutrient status and cowpea biological nitrogen fixation in a maize-cowpea rotation under conservation farming. Journal of Agricultural Science. In Press.
- Sichilima I., Mataa M., and Mweetwa, A.M. 2018. Morpho-physiological and yield responses associated with plant density variation in Soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill). International Journal of Environment, Agriculture and Biotechnology. Vol 3 (1): 274- 285.
- Jordan D,…….. Mweetwa, A. et al. 2018. Preventing mycotoxin contamination in groundnut cultivation. In: Ed. Sivasankar et al. Achieving sustainable cultivation of grain legumes. Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing
- Fredrick Besa Mwansa, Kalaluka Munyinda, Alice Mweetwa Walter Mupangwa. 2017. Assessing the Potential of Conservation Agriculture to Off-set the Effects of Climate Change on Crop Productivity using Crop Simulations Model (APSIM). International Journal for Scientific Footprints, 2017, 5(1):9-32
- Munene, P., Chabala, L.M., and Mweetwa, A.M. 2017. Land Suitability assessment for soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr) production in Kabwe District, Central Zambia. Journal of Agricultural Science. Vol 9 (12): 1-16
- Mweetwa, A.M., Chilombo, G. & Gondwe, B.M. 2016. Nodulation, nutrient uptake and yield of common bean inoculated with Rhizobia and Trichoderma in an acid soil. Journal of Agricultural Science. Vol 8 (12): 61-71
- Chalwe H., Mweetwa, A.M., Lungu, O. I., Phiri , E. Njoroge, S. and Brandenburg, R. L. 2016. Reducing pre-harvest aflatoxin content in groundnuts through soil water management. RUFORUM Working Document Series (ISSN 1607-9345) No. 14 (1):921-926. http://repository.ruforum.org
- Mweetwa, A.M., Lubungo A.C., Chishala, B.H., and Phiri, M. 2016. Selected chemical properties, microbial activity and biomass of soils amended with aqueous neem leaf extract. Sustainable Agriculture Research, Vol 5 (5). http://dx.doi.org/10.5539
- Kapembwa R., Mweetwa, A.M., Ngulube, M. and Yengwe, J. 2016. Morphological biochemical characterization of soybean nodulating rhizobia indigenous to Zambia. Sustainable Agriculture Research, Vol 5 (5). http://dx.doi.org/10.5539
- Kasoma, C., Lungu, D., Mweetwa, A., Munyinda, K., and Kaimoyo, E. 2015. Microsatellite Marker applications in the assessment of sorghum genetic diversity. IICB:13-17. http://dx.doi/10.15242/IICBE.C0715007
- Mweetwa, A.M., Eckhardt, E.A., Stott, D.E., Chilombo, G., Armstrong, A.P., Schulze, D. and Nakatsu, C.H. 2014. Isolation and characterization of Chilembwe and Sinda rock phosphate solubilizing soil microorganisms. African Journal of Microbiology Research 8 (34) 3191-3203. doi 10.5897/AJMR2014.6923
- Mweetwa, A.M., Mulenga, M., Mulilo, X., Ngulube, Banda, J.S.K., Kapulu, N. and N’gandu, S.H. 2014. Response of cowpea, soya beans and groundnuts to non-indigenous legume inoculants. Sustainable Agriculture Research Vol. 3 No. 4 doi:10.5539/
- Muchabi,J., Lungu, O.I. and A.M., Mweetwa. 2014. Conservation Agriculture in Zambia: Effects on Selected Soil Properties and Biological Nitrogen Fixation in Soya Beans (Glycine max (L.) Merr). Journal of Sustainable Agriculture Research, Vol 3: No. 3 http://dx.doi.org/10.5539
- Hamvumba, R., Mataa, M. and A.M., Mweetwa. 2014. Evaluation of Sunflower (Helianthus annuus, L.), Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor, L.) and Chinese cabbage (Brassica chinesis) for phytoremediation of lead contaminated soils. Journal of Environnent and Pollution, Vol. 4 : No. 2. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ep.v3n2p65
- Phiri. M., O. I. Lungu and Mweetwa, A.M. 2014. An evaluation of boron fertilization methods on cotton growth (Gossypium hirsutum) in selected soils from Zambia. Zambian Journal of Agricultural Science,10 (1):87-92.
- Ncube-Kanyika, B.T.C, Lungu, D., Mweetwa, A.M., Kaimoyo, E., Njung’e, V.M., Monyo, E.S., Siambi, M., He, G., Prakash, C., Zhao, Y., S.M, De Villiers. 2014. Identification of Groundnut Simple Sequence Repeat Markers Suitable for QTL Mapping in African Germplasm. Electronic Journal of Biotechnology. http://dx.doi.or/10.1016/j.ejbt.2014.10.004
- Gondwe, B., A.M., Mweetwa Munyinda, K., and. E. Phiri. 2014. Evaluation of maize genotypes for nitrogen use efficiency. Zambian Journal of Agricultural Science, 10(1):51-59.
- Mooya, D., Phiri E., Mweetwa, A.M. and Lungu D.M. 2014. Evaluation of water use for drought tolerance in Maize (Zea mays, L.) genotypes under deficit irrigation. Zambian Journal of Agricultural Science, 10(1):72-80.
- Mweetwa, A. M, Danielle Hunter, Rebecca Poe, Kim C. Harich, Idit Ginzberg, Richard E. Veilleux, James G. Tokuhisa. 2012. Steroidal glycoalkaloids in Solanum chacoense . Phytochemistry, 75:32-40
- Ginzberg, I., Muddarangappa, T., Fogelman, E., Demirel, U., Tokuhisa, J., Mweetwa A.M. and Veilleux, R. 2012. Induction of Potato Steroidal Glycoalkaloid Biosynthetic Pathway by Overexpression of cDNA Encoding Primary Metabolism HMG-CoA Reductase and Squalene Synthase. Planta htt://doi.dx.org/10.1007/s00425-011-1578-6
- Mweetwa, A.M. 2011. Potential for Increased Yield and Market Opportunities of Beans. SanBio Newsletter,Vol.2 Issue 2
- Mweetwa, A.M., D.Tay and G.E. Welbaum. 2008. Effects of development, temperature, calcium hypochlorite treatment on in vitro germinability of Phalaenopsis seeds. Scientia Horticulturae, 117: 257-262
- Mweetwa, A.M., D.Tay and G.E. Welbaum. 2008. A preliminary investigation on the effect of seed physiology stage, concentration and duration of exposure to calcium hypochlorite affect in vitro germinability and seedling development. Acta Hort, (ISHS) 782:99-106
- Mweetwa, A.M., D.Tay and G.E. Welbaum.2007.Orchid seed storage for germplasm preservation. Acta Hort. (ISHS) 760:629-635
Publications in Conference Proceedings
- Chalwe H., Mweetwa, A.M., Lungu, O. I., Phiri , E. Njoroge, S. and Brandenburg, R. L. 2016. Reducing pre-harvest aflatoxin content in groundnuts through soil water management. Conference: RUFORUM BIENNIAL CONFERENCE.At: http://repository.ruforum.orgVolume: 14(1): 921-926
- Corley, M., M. Tembo, A. Mweetwa, S. Mutiti. 2014. Accumulation of heavy metals in grass and vegetables. 2014 Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Vancouver, British Columbia. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs. Vol. 46, No. 6, pp. 714.
- Corley, M., S. Mutiti, A. Mweetwa, M. Tembo, M.T. DeFoor, S.C. Hazzard. 2014. Assessing the levels of lead contamination in Kabwe soils and the potential for phytoremediation of heavily contaminated soils. Annual Meeting of the Georgia Academy of Science, Augusta, GA. Georgia Journal of Science, Vol. 72, No. 1, pp. 50.
- Defoor, Mikalyn T., Corley, Megan, Mutiti, Samuel, Mweetwa, Alice, Hazzard, Sarah. 201 Comparison of different methods of lead quantification in soils and vegetables. Geological Society of America (SE) Abstracts with Programs. Vol. 46, No. 3, pp.99
- Corley, Megan, Mutiti, Samuel, Mweetwa, Alice, Mutande, Tembo, Defoor, Mikalyn T., Hazzard, Sarah. 2014. Lead removal from contaminated soils and water by vegetables. Geological Society of America (SE) Abstracts with Programs. Vol. 46, No. 3, pp.99
- Kanyika, B.N., Lungu, D., Mweetwa, A.M. and S. Devilliers. 2013. Simple sequence repeact polymorphism screening for resistance to Cercospora arachididola in groundnut genotypes. 11th African Crop Science Society Conference Proceedings, Imperial Botanical Beach Hotel, Entebbe-Uganda. 13-17th October, 2013. pp. 62
- Muchabi, J., Mweetwa, A.M. and O.I., Lungu. 2013. Conservation agriculture : Effects on soil properties and biological nitrogen fixation in Glycine max (L.) Merr. 11th African Crop Science Society Conference Proceedings. pp. 142 Imperial Botanical Beach Hotel, Entebbe-Uganda. 13-17th October, 2013.
- Mutiti, S., Keefer, K., and A.M., Mweetwa. 2013. The environmental legacy of lead mining in Kabwe, Zambia. The Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programmes, Vol 45, No. 17 pp.98
Mweetwa, A.M, D. Tay and G.E. Welbaum. 2006. Orchid seed storage for germplasm preservation. American Society for Horticultural Science Annual Conference. July 26-30. New Orleans, HortScience 41(4):1028