Dr. Alfred Tembo joined the University as a Staff Development Fellow in 2008 in the then Department of History. He was appointed lecturer in 2010. over the years he has taught undergraduate courses on the history of Zambia, and Land and Labour issues in Central Africa. He is currently teaching a course on the history of Africa since pre-colonial times. Prior to joining the University he worked as a teacher of English and History at Naboye High School, Kafue. He is the current Head, Department of Historical and Archaeological Studies.
- War and military history
- Economic history of Zambia
- Refugee studies
War and Society in Colonial Zambia, 1939-1953. Athens: Ohio University Press, 2021, pp. 272 (ISBN 978-0-8214-2462-9 and eISBN 978-0-8214-4748-2).
- (with Jochen Lingelbach), 'From war-torn-Europe to Colonial Africa', Africa is a Country, 2021.
- 'After the Deluge: Appraising the 1970 Mufulira Mine Disaster in Zambia', Historia, 54, 2 (November 2019), 109-131.
- Frustrated Expectations: Experiences of Northern Rhodesian (Zambian) Ex-Servicemen in the Post-Second World War Era’, War in History, 24, 2 (2017), 195-216.
- Coerced African Labour for Food Production in Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) during the Second World War, 1942-1945’, South African Historical Journal, 68, 1 (January 2016), 50-68.
- With Ian Phimister, ‘A Zambian Town in Colonial Zimbabwe: the 1964 Wankie Coal Mine Strike’, International Review of Social History, 60, 23 (December 2015), 41-62.
- The Rhodes-Livingstone Institute and Interdisciplinary Research in Colonial Zambia, 1937-1964’, Strategic Review for Southern Africa, 36, 1 (May 2014), 90-99.
- Rubber Production in Northern Rhodesia during the Second World War, 1942-6’, African Economic History, 41 (2013), 227-259.
- African Peasant Reaction to Colonial State Policies in Chipata District, 1895–1939,’ Journal of Humanities, 10 (2011), 39-53.
- Caroline Wanjiku Kihato, Migrant Women of Johannesburg: Life in an In-between City (Johannesburg: Wits University Press, 2013), xviii + 174pp, in African Historical Review, 47, 1 (2015), 125-127.
- Peter Limb, A Shared History: The ALP, the ANC and the Australian Anti-Apartheid Movement (Barton: Labour International, 2012), 105pp, in African Historical Review, 46, 1 (2014), 96-97.